Thanks to good ol’ George Washington’s birth, I had a day on the couch yesterday, and a new Presidents Day tradition was born.
Below, your guide to US Presidents:
Thanks to my mom for being a US history teacher and dragging me to every presidential historical site in America. Extra thanks to James Foreman for creating my lovely campaign poster, to Mark Stratton for suggesting that I compile them all into a blog post, and to Anthony Closkey who suggested future fun afoot….
OK. I get it. I haven’t written in a while. But there’s been a lot going on around these parts. Here’s a quick rundown:
- Today, I realized I made the complete right decision accepting new job when I got not one, but FOUR, compliments from various higher-ups on projects I submitted. Positive reinforcement at work. Imagine that!
- Today is BC’s birthday and I am off like a rocket to take him out for some Red Lobster, just like Mom used to do. Garlic cheese biscuits-yum.
- I just got back from a weekend with the family in Atlanta and must sit you all down and tell the tale of my sister, the hippie. Just you wait.
- Next week I’m off to Anaheim, CA for work. Sunshine! I’m coming for you. Of course, the following week it’s Ithaca, NY. They can’t all be weather winners.
Ok. I know there’s more to say and so much to tell, but for now it’s happy hour. Even when I go MIA, I can generally be found at Twitter (eleanorstrouser) on a daily basis.
I’ll be back with a more filling entry soon. This is just the appetizer.
Ladies and gents,
I have found love again. You know that feeling when you first meet someone and it takes you a few days to figure out all their little quirks, their likes and dislikes. You feel awkward around each other. You get excited every time you interact, but also nervous that you’ll do the wrong thing. But after a while, you start to figure each other out and every time you see each other you light up with glee. You stay up late at night until all hours getting to know each other better. You wake up to be sure they’re still right beside you. I’m there.
Wanna see a picture of my new love?
Isn't he handsome?
Yes, dear readers. I did it. I got myself a Blackberry for Christmas. And we are totally smitten with each other. Every time his little red light comes on, I jump to see what gifts he’s delivering to me. And he’s a lovely red holiday color. I was going to wait until after the holidays to bring him home, but since I managed to leave my cell phone charger for my antique beat-up old flip phone in Cleveland and didn’t want to spend $40 on a charger for a phone I’d only have for another month… well, dear reader, I broke down and treated myself.
He wants a nice case for Christmas. And he’s led to a definite increase in tweets from me on Twitter since I discovered TwitterBerry. I’m oversharing now just to get to use him.
I hope you’re all in love like mine for the holidays. Smitten. Totally and completely smitten.
Today, for your reading pleasure, a collection of random information that I can’t really tie together other than, this is what’s going on, in my head, on my desktop, and happening this weekend:
- This doctor in Arkansas should have lost her medical license for sterilizing a patient with “learning difficulties” with her consent. While I understand the doctor claims another pregnancy could have been life threatening to her patient, I firmly believe a woman has a right to be informed about her choices and make her own (good or bad) decisions.
- I finally got around to seeing Superbad last night. I know I’m a year behind everyone else, but can I just say, there were times I laughed until I almost peed a little? I was afraid it was going to be another American Pie, but it was so much smarter than all that.
- This weekend I’m out of town (again) and headed to the Ohio State Fair. Last year, I bought a rug and some coasters from an Amish woman and survived all day on funnel cake and various fried dessert items. This year- who knows?
- The Kyle Payne situation has further evolved- he’s placed a response to the internet about his actions and subsequent guilty plea for assaulting a woman in his care as an RA. I’m hesitant to give him any more press. His “remorse” is underwhelming at best, and after he personally emailed me to notify me of his upcoming post, I was creeped out. There is some great ongoing coverage and comment on Mr. Payne here, here, here, and here. Still waiting to hear whether an extension on his sentencing has been granted as requested, or whether things will move forward August 11 as planned.
- BBB has enlisted me as an ally against her foe, a woman she blames her non-promotion on. Um, sorry if I’m not the sympathetic….
- In progress on my 101 in 1001 this week: #11- go to Waffle House will be happening tonight on the drive to Columbus (yum!), #30- my eye doctor appointment will happen on 9/4, #51- all done updating my 100 things about me to remove fiance’ references, #72- the library books are back at their home (after um, a YEAR)- I know I’m horrible and am taking a library hiatus for bad behavior, #78- sent a postcard, #80- went to bookclub 1 of the 2 times required, #99 – sent 2 postcrossing postcards out. When they get received and registered, someone will send me one.
And I’ll leave you all with words of wisdom from this site’s namesake:
“It takes as much energy to wish as it does to plan.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Have a good weekend. I’ll be Twittering from the state fair if anything fun comes up (link in the sidebar).